Saturday, April 25, 2015

DR - 3/14/15 (Saturday)



In the morning, we went on our whale-watching trip. We saw a mother and her calf.

In the afternoon, we attempted to do some kite-mapping activity. However, we did not capture any good quality photos. The winds were too gusty for the camera to focus. Despite the "failed" process, I did learn a lot about kite-mapping. Although the concept sounds cool and simple on paper, there are so many factors to consider when you actually execute the activity.

At night, we took our final exams to get the International Yacht Training (IYT) certification. Lastly, the sailing team gave us a nice "thank you/end of the trip" speech.

On this same night, I caught someone cheating and I did what was necessary. Yet why do I feel so bad? Why was I struggling over the decision to tell Shanley, Eric and Keene? Because I’ve lived under the same roof with these people for the past week. Because I have empathy and I care. But in the end I had to. If my mentor back home in Boston has taught me anything that I should bring with me always, it’s that you should stand up for what you feel strongly about. Even if there’s a chance that you may get ostracized from the group. And you know what? I do not regret doing what I did. Yes it sucked. It sucked because I thought she would study hard or that she would just stick it out with what she knows for the exam. It sucked because the other person's hard work should not be “taken” like that. It sucks because I really thought she was an honest person in that respect. In the end, what really pushed me to tell someone was that I wanted Julia learn from this mistake. To become a better person for it. For that and many other reasons, I still stand by what I did. Even if it hurts a little inside.

No comments: